Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Party Dress

Now this quilt was definitely harder than I originally thought it would be. I try to keep baby quilts relatively simple, because:

A. the quilt is likely to get dirty,
B. there's not a lot of room to work with since it is so small, and
C. they can't really appreciate the time and effort it takes to make a quilt for at least another 20 years.

That said, I just can't help but complicate my life sometimes. I have been wanting to try a Bento Box pattern for quite some time and just never have the right moment.
So I figured, why not on my friend Jess's baby quilt. First off, let me start by saying the quilt turned out beautifully and is definitely a piece of art. I am so thankful it was Jess I got to make it for, but boy was it time consuming. Some of those pieces are less than an inch wide and there are 48 teenie tiny completed Bento Boxes.
I feel like the white sashing definitely helped to open up the quilt. Some of the fabric was busy and therefore it needed a lot of white to give it the clean fresh feeling.
I love how my friend Jess decided to go with a Zebra print in the baby room. It is absolutely a fun theme to work with, it really opens up the possibilities.
This was my first pink baby girl quilt. I have made many quilts for baby boys, twin baby boys and little boys. This quilt had me feeling the adorable little girl vibe. I am so jealous that Jess will soon have a little baby girl to dress up in pretty little pink dresses and frilly shirts. Leah is going to be absolutely adorable Jessica!
This quilt measured approximately 48" x 64", slightly larger than a crib quilt but hopefully one she will have for years to come. I might be in love with the Zebra print back, it is priceless.
I had the name picked out before the quilt was even finished, it just came to me and I think it fits perfectly. It reminds me of one of those adorable black and pink cocktail dresses that only a girl under the age of 16 can wear... oh the days!
If it wasn't pouring outside the entire week before I wrapped up the quilt I might have been able to take some prettier more vibrant pictures. Perhaps I can persuade Momma Jess to take some when Leah arrives! So exciting!

1 comment:

Terriaw said...

This quilt is so beautiful! I really adore the color combination. I've always wanted to try a bento box block, so I'm totally inspired. And that back fabric is the bomb! You did such a great job with this one. What a lucky baby to receive this from you!