Friday, October 6, 2017

Couldn't Cut the Mustard

Irony: "An outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected."
A History major I was not. Math and science were my specialty which might explain my eventual path toward being an accountant. I did however study environmental philosophy along the way but that's neither here nor there. History however, I just couldn't get the facts straight. The only way I can think to explain it is; have you ever been driving somewhere, following directions, taking roads and having absolutely no idea where you were going, which way was North and where you came from?
Then suddenly however you pull out onto a road and say, "I had no idea this is where that road went!" When it comes to history; I am on a back road with no sense of North and I never seem to find my way. I never have that ah-hah moment. I can't remember dates, geography or names. Completely clueless! I see I have digressed. Back to the initial statement, Irony!

I sometimes find my posts ironic as I attempt to explain the history behind something as that is not something that would have ever crossed my mind or captured my attention. It does however lately. I'm not sure if it's a hidden wisdom that comes with age or if I never gave myself enough credit. But today... we will discuss Mustard! (What?)

According to the Saskatchewan Mustard Development Commission, "Some of the earliest known documentation of mustard's use dates back to Sumerian and Sanskrit texts from 3000 BC." So Mustard is old, which we would know from the Christian bible parables about the potency of a mustard seed despite it's small, insignificant size.

This is a great article on "13 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Mustard" which tells us Mustard is the second most commonly used spice in America bowing only to the front runner Peppercorn. This article also tells us that our commonly referred to term "Mustard Yellow" is a LIE!

"The particular shade of yellow to which mustard lends its name owes its hue not to mustard seeds themselves, but to the vibrantly colored turmeric added for an extra kick of spice and brightness. Crushed mustard seeds alone vary from a pale yellow to a dark brown depending on their variety, but 'turmeric yellow' doesn't sound quite as good."

So from mustard yellow, mustard gas, those who "couldn't cut the mustard" and the never ending types of mustard (Dijon, Bordeaux, Beaujolais, Creole, Meaux, German, English, Chinese, Sweet, Honey, Yellow...) I give you this latest quilt finish which I'm calling...

Wait for it...

Turmeric! Because I'm nothing if not literal.

This quilt is 60" x 72" a traditional lap size quilt and has already been sold so it will not be making its way into my Etsy Shop! But please check back next week for hopefully another finish and another chance to take home a comfy quilt (and maybe another history lesson)!

Linked up with Crazy Mom Quilts!

2 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE it!!! Front, back, AND the story, too. :o))

grammajudyb said...

OH NO! I am making a baby quilt to match parent-selected colors of blue, gray and mustard! I saw the dresser/changing table and it is actually "tumeric". But I selected a color from a group called Walking On Sunshine! I think it will be ok! BYW- I love that "Tumeric" quilt, front and back!